The Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership needs to track customer’s subsidized housing status for certain grants and for reporting to funders. In order to easily track and report this data, we have added five non-WIOA services in Career Connect. These procedures explain when and how to add these services to track subsidized housing status.
Subsidized Housing Types & Definitions
The Partnership is tracking five types of subsidized housing status:
- Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) public housing residents: these are customers that live in CHA-owned developments. This must be verified as described in Step 3 below.
- Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) recipients: these are customers that have a Housing Choice (often referred to as Section 8) voucher issued by the CHA and used in the city of Chicago. This must be verified as described in Step 3 below.
- Housing Authority of Cook County (HACC) public housing residents: these are customers that live in HACC-owned developments.
- Housing Authority of Cook County (HACC) Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) recipients: these are customers that have a Housing Choice (often referred to as Section 8) voucher issued by the HACC and used in suburban Cook County.
- Non-CHA/HACC subsidized Housing Residents: these are customers that report living in subsidized housing that is not owned by CHA or HACC and is not paid for by a Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher.
Tracking Subsidized Housing Status
The Partnership now requires that Subsidized Housing Status be tracked for all customers using the procedure below. The Partnership is asking all agencies to retroactively add this data to Career Connect for active WIOA participants. Unless used for WIOA eligibility, Subsidized Housing Status may be based on customer self-report and does not need to be verified.
In Career Connect, public housing status will be tracked as a WP or “Universal” service. The Partnership recognizes that housing status is not an actual service provided by WIOA. We have added these options as “services” for ease of data entry and reporting.
After locating your customer in Career Connect, go to Staff Profiles > General Profile > Activities and click on “Activity History/Service Plan”.
Click on “Add Service”
Select the appropriate Service Activity Code:
- 160-CHA public housing resident
- 161-CHA Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher (HVC) recipient
- 162-HACC public housing resident
- 163-HACC Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher (HVC) recipient
- 164-Non-CHA/HACC subsidized housing resident
Add an “Actual Service Date” that is equal to the WIOA Application date. If the system will not let you back-date the service that far, use today’s date and add a case note that the customer was a subsidized housing resident at the time of application.
*IMPORTANT: Before recording service code 160 or 161 – Please verify with the CHA Resource Room Attendant or the CHA Career Coach that this customer is an actual HCV Holder or Public Housing resident. Add a Case Note with the service indicating when & how the data was verified.
DO NOT record these services before the status has been VERIFIED.
Set the “Completion Code” to Successful Completion.
Select your Office Location (if it is not pre-filled). Your completed screen will look like this:
Click “Save Changes”. This will take you back to the Universal Services summary screen.
In order to see all of your customers that live in subsidized housing, run the following report.
- Go to Detailed Reports > Services Reports section > Services Provided Individuals
- Select the “List” report in the Service > Advanced section (NOT the Local section).
- Select the following filters:
- Program: Title II – Wagner-Peyser (WP)
- Office Location
- Activity/Service Code: hold down the “CTRL” button on your keyboard and select all 5 service codes:
- Date Filter: Create Date
- Date Range: Custom
- From: 05/01/2018
- To: Today’s date
4. Click “Run Report”
Note that this report does not indicate which programs the customer is enrolled in. We are working with our vendor to create a custom report to show WIOA and non-WIOA customers that have these services.